Today I got one of the Lora-modules hooked up to a breadboard. This took much more effort than it should have. If you want to buy some of these modules, I would recommend getting a version that has a 2.54mm pin spacing (if those exist), not metric 2mm ones. That should make things much easier when prototyping. Also make sure you know the pinout of the module. My seller didn’t include it. After some googling, I found the pinout of a board that looked suspiciously like mine, and visual inspection showed that the VCC and GND pins matched. Probing also showed that NSS matched, after which I just assumed that all the rest matched too.
I also added a 8 pin voltage level shifter module (bought on Ebay) to interface the 3.3V SX1278 to the 5V Arduino Uno. Unless I overlooked something in the datasheet, the I/O pins of the SX1278 are not 5V tolerant.
I serendipitously stumbled upon a great talk from last year’s CCC congress by Matt Knight. It delves into the PHY layer of LoRa and he explains how the protocol was reverse engineered. Impressive work, and very educational! It also means that I will probably be able to use an SDR for testing.
It’s been a while since I last used my blog. This is wrong, because it is a great way to document my experiments. Making it public can (possibly) help others on the same journey, but more importantly I can fall back to it at a later time.
Therefore, my new years resolution for 2017 is to use my blog more. More specifically, I intend to use it to document my ventures into LoRa-land, an exciting new radio protocol for low power communications. So there, now I only need to follow up on my promise!
I bought two LoRa modules from Ebay. once I got them, I realized that the pin header has a 2mm pitch instead of the standard 2.54mm. My first quest will therefore be to interface it somehow to a breadboard…